Beneath Part 605 of the NY State Automobile and Visitors Legislation, all drivers concerned in an accident the place:
- an individual is injured or killed, or
- there’s injury to the property of 1 particular person (together with your self) in extra of greater than $1,000,
should file their very own accident report inside 10 days from the date of accident or DMV might droop your driver’s license till your report is obtained. To fulfill the submitting necessities, you need to fill out and file the Report of Motor Automobile Accident (PDF) (MV-104). As well as,
- if the accident brought about property injury solely, you need to alternate details about your driver license, insurance coverage, and registration with the concerned drivers and file the MV-104.
- if an individual is injured or killed, you might be required by the NY State Automobile and Visitors Legislation to right away notify the police and file the MV-104.
- if a parked car or different property is broken, or if a home animal is injured, you need to find the proprietor or contact the police.
- it’s a crime to go away the scene of an accident that causes private harm or demise.
The accident seems on the information of all of the concerned drivers. An accident listed in your driver report doesn’t point out that you just had been at fault. The DMV doesn’t attempt to decide fault in an accident.
Tips on how to get a replica of your report
- Name or go to the native police company or precinct the place the accident occurred. Ask the company in case your report is on the market and what the price is.
- If the police and/or motorists’ studies have already been filed and processed by the DMV, see Get an accident report for details about the best way to find and entry PDF copies of accident studies
The DMV Accident Re-examination Program
The DMV has an Accident Re-examination program that identifies drivers who’ve been in three or extra reportable accidents inside an 18-month interval. This system contains drivers of all ages. A reportable accident is any accident in New York State that causes a fatality, a private harm or injury over $1,000 to the property of anyone particular person. The DMV sends the motive force a letter to return to a DMV workplace for an interview and for potential eye, written and highway exams.
Workplace procedures have modified resulting from COVID-19.
We advocate you conduct your DMV enterprise on the workplace or by mail within the County the place you’re a resident.
See directions and reservation data to your county